Monday, January 3, 2011

I finished it, and started something new

I finished Wuthering Heights. It's like but very unlike anything I've ever read. I mostly read old British books. This is an old British book, but I've never read anything with such an ending! I really thought Mr. Lockwood would marry Cathy, his landlords widowed daughter-in-law, but it ends with Mr. Lockwood telling how she is going to marry her cousin, who has had no education. Apparently Cathy, who before had despised Hareton, her cousin, because of his vulgarity and awkwardness, suddenly decided to make him her friend and teach him to read and well, marry him. Thats just weird. This book is very different from other books in the way the story is told. Only a small portion is Mr. Lockwood actually talking about him self or saying what he has done. Most of it is him writing the story that his house keeper is telling him. I don't think give anymore of the story away. Now I'm going to read Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. It's gonna take awhile I'm afraid. My dad read the first 2 chapters to me last night. He took like tons of pages just to say "Marseilles was bright and hot." !! I get really tired of excessive description. Part of the reason it took me so long to get through Lord of the Rings. And Dicken goes into more detail than Tolkein. Maybe I'll read something of Jane Austen's along with it to even things out. She hardly describes anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment